Everyone has made the New Year’s resolution to eat healthy and exercise more., What is important is the way we do this needs. It must be achievable and not time-consuming. For most of us who are working and have children, it may appear an impossible task to make healthy food that is loved by all members of the family. This need not be the case. We can all adapt the way we cook food, especially Indian food. Recently I have started to steam white fish and to my surprise, kids and hubby loved it so much, I wish had made more. The less you add to food, the better it can taste, Cooking food in ways such as steaming tends to preserve the flavour of the food. When eating steamed fish, I could actually taste fish rather than the salty breadcrumbs I normally taste on a handful of fish fingers. Even the steamed butternut squash was so tasty that I didn’t even need to season it!
Other than being just a New Year’s resolution and a way of losing weight, what are the real reasons to eat healthy ?
1. Lose Weight. Eating healthy can help you lose weight. By switching from unhealthy junk to healthy alternatives will help you reduce your calorie intake. Junk foods are empty calorie foods and have a lot of calories but do not provide any nutritional benefit. Avoiding junk will help you lose weight.
2. Energy. Healthier foods will give you more energy for the whole day and not just spikes of energy provided by junk foods. Junk foods give you a quick surge of energy followed by a rapid decline in energy levels. Healthier foods slow down digestion so stick to eat small and frequent meals high in unsaturated fats, lean proteins and complex carbs.
3. Gain Muscle. This requires combining more calories with more exercise. Eating healthy will lead to more muscle gains than fat but eat regular smaller meals and add a small healthy between meals. Healthy foods, such as fruits, vegetables, oils such as olive oil, chicken, seafood, nuts, beans, whole wheat products, brown rice and porridge.
4. Appearance. Eating healthy low calorie food will prevent fat storage as caused by sugary foods. The body can’t burn up all the energy quickly enough which leads to fat storage. Eat low calorie healthy meals and less sugar to look more defined.
5. Health. The main reason to eat healthy is to keep your body in top condition. The type of food you eat has a very big impact on your general health. Fatty foods can cause heart diseases whilst good fats such as unsaturated fats can help prevent them. Fibre lowers cholesterol and blood pressure and prevents certain cancers. Fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants which protect against cancers.
Top 5 Healthy Ways of Cooking Indian Food:
1) Never the use of ghee, use olive oil instead
2) Never use cream. If you want your curry to be thick, use low fat Greek yogurt
3) Never fry anything! Samosas can be brushed with olive oil and baked in the oven. I have got rif of my karahi for frying!
4) Use oil sparingly. Only a teaspoon of oil is needed to release the aroma from frying spices for a curry. A curry immersed in oil is both unsightly to look at and to eat!
5) Remove the skin and fat of all meat and poultry. Food tastes better and you will look better!